[vox-tech] wifi

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 1 14:45:07 PDT 2006

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> Admittedly, I've set up my Mutt RC file to map the [R] key to "List Reply"
> (normally [L]) when I'm in certain folders (ones in which listmail goes to,
> e.g., my non-LUGOD LUG inbox)...  So now I don't even worry whether a list
> has Reply-To set or not.

Exactly.  We mutt users (and, reportedly, Emacs GNUS users) have
list-reply mode to make 95% of munging damage evaporate.  The residual
5% is that munging, as usually implemented, prevents use of the header
for its _legitmate_ purpose, e.g., my specifying that direct replies
should go go to GMail because I expect my own MTA to have downtime.
(That's not a drawback worth fussing over.)

Other people with lesser MUAs suffer larger side-effects, e.g., getting
fired or divorced after, to their horror, seeing their "private"
comments (that they tried to send offlist) accidentally go out in public.

Sucks to be them.  Glad I'm a mutt user.

> What's _nice_ about Reply-To....

I think you mean about programmatic _munging_ (forcing, overwriting) of
Reply-To, as distinct from its use by the senders who are its legitimate
users.