[vox-tech] Wireless problem

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 5 20:07:42 PDT 2006

I bought a wireless access point and it works fine with windows,
to my wife's laptop, and to my laptop with either the built-in
(Broadcom) or a PCMCIA card (Netgear prism54)
After a lot of effort, I have the card coming up, (driver loading,
firmware loading) but I still can't pass traffic over it. I found the
docs on wireless extension in the interfaces file and it looks like
every thing is loading OK. iwconfig shows the right key and essid.
ifconfig shows the right IP address. The route table enteries are
just the same for eth1 (wifi)  as for eth0 (ethernet) Except different
IP address. I can't ping my other machine on the local net.
I tried the ping in the other direction, to the IP address I gave
to eth1 my that is no-go also. All the error counts are zero.
The only real clue seems to be a message in dmesg:
 no IPV6 routers But why doesn't it use IPV4? i don't see
any config variables for this.

Richard Harke