[vox-tech] Wireless problem

Joshua Morris bullring at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 20:13:08 PDT 2006

On 6/6/06, Richard Harke <rharke at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I bought a wireless access point and it works fine with windows,
> to my wife's laptop, and to my laptop with either the built-in
> (Broadcom) or a PCMCIA card (Netgear prism54)
> After a lot of effort, I have the card coming up, (driver loading,
> firmware loading) but I still can't pass traffic over it. I found the
> docs on wireless extension in the interfaces file and it looks like
> every thing is loading OK. iwconfig shows the right key and essid.
> ifconfig shows the right IP address. The route table enteries are
> just the same for eth1 (wifi)  as for eth0 (ethernet) Except different
> IP address. I can't ping my other machine on the local net.
> I tried the ping in the other direction, to the IP address I gave
> to eth1 my that is no-go also. All the error counts are zero.
> The only real clue seems to be a message in dmesg:
> no IPV6 routers But why doesn't it use IPV4? i don't see
> any config variables for this.
>
> Richard Harke

Hi Richard,

I get the same error when i connect to my wireless router about no PV6
routers so i think that is fine.  I use dhcp for addressing my ip since i go
to coffee shops and use the free wifi at school.  I use a dlink dwl-650 ($20
at fry's refurb) and madwifi-ng drivers and no problems.  sometimes it will
just not work so i will have to restart iwconfig by directing it to a non
existent router and the set it back to the router i want.  have not been
able to isolate the problem when this happens to me but this trick seems to
work.

Joshua