[vox-tech] Hosed HD

Michael Wenk wenk at praxis.homedns.org
Mon Jun 5 09:45:05 PDT 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 08:52 am, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Turns out that I'm stupid, and it wasn't the IDE controller on my mother
> board that was broken; it was the disc itself that wasn't bootable.  I
> burned a new copy of the installation media, and it works just fine.
>
> However, this hard drive which I'm currently having problems with is the
> third hard drive that this computer has burned through.  The first two were
> IBM Desk Star HD's, and I didn't give it much thought because that model is
> notoriously unstable, from what I've heard.  But this new one is supposed
> to be much better, yet it only lasted a year.
>
> Is the fact that I'm on my third hard drive in six years indicative of
> something more deeply wrong with my system than just my bad luck in buying
> hard drives?

As with what Rod wrote, I would also be curious on your power supply.  Is it
underpowered?  Is it a decent model which doesn't fluctuate ?  Ive lost more
equipment to cheap power supplies than I really like to think about.

I lost an IBM Deskstar drive back in feb(I lost the entire system, but the
disk quit spinning)  so don't feel too bad.  However, that's the first disk I
have lost since 2002.

Mike