[vox-tech] linux and viruses

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sat Feb 25 12:31:11 PST 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 10:55, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I've had the same problem with Norton Anit-virus scans. I want it to
> scan when I'm not at work but that means I have to lock my station, if
> I log out it won't run until I log back in. Utterly useless.
> My best guess is that these software components are not services, and
> therefore can't run without a user logged in.

You guys are both lucky.  I had to fight tooth and nail to get AdAware, SpyBot
S&D, and AV software installed on my work computer and usable with my
ordinary user account (our IT department insists that your Windows box is
only at risk when you're running as an administrator).

Tuesday we've got a mandatory desktop security class taught by these same
people.  My boss and I are both going to have a really hard time to keep from
heckling.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie