[vox-tech] linux and viruses

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Feb 25 13:22:59 PST 2006

Richard Crawford wrote:

>On Saturday 25 February 2006 10:55, Alex Mandel wrote:
>

>>I've had the same problem with Norton Anit-virus scans. I want it to
>>scan when I'm not at work but that means I have to lock my station, if
>>I log out it won't run until I log back in. Utterly useless.
>>My best guess is that these software components are not services, and
>>therefore can't run without a user logged in.
>>

>You guys are both lucky.  I had to fight tooth and nail to get AdAware, SpyBot
>S&D, and AV software installed on my work computer and usable with my
>ordinary user account (our IT department insists that your Windows box is
>only at risk when you're running as an administrator).
>
>Tuesday we've got a mandatory desktop security class taught by these same
>people.  My boss and I are both going to have a really hard time to keep from
>heckling.

Your right, I'm lucky that our IT installs Spybot and some other
proprietary(paid) anti-spyware. The irony is, everyone runs as a local
Admin otherwise we'd never get anywhere, especially my group which does
GIS, Statistics and R&D. So in a sense we're always at risk. I just wish
they would enforce strong passwords to prevent silly things like a worm
a few months ago that moved through networked drives since most
passwords are from a common dictionary.

A Class would be nice for new employees too, but I work for the
government there's no budget for that.

Alex