[vox-tech] linux and viruses

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Feb 25 10:55:03 PST 2006

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>>Off-topic, but I've got a question:
>>
>>I have McAfee security crap on my Windows XP laptop here at work.
>>(It includes a firewall which occasionally refuses to run due to
>>"Unknown error"; but seems to start working again after some random
>>self-update by McAfee, or some random Windows Update.  *grrr*)
>>
>>I find it concerning that the firewall is NOT running unless I'm actually
>>_logged in_ to my/an account.
>>
>>Why does the firewall service not start up as _soon_ as possible?
>>Is it not an issue at that point (i.e., the system is not vunerable)?
>>Or is it simply not _possible_ for the firewall to start at that point?
>>
>>Considering the fact that it still takes about 5 minutes between entering
>>my username and password, and actually being able to _use_ the Windows
>>environment (e.g., launch Mozilla Mail or Putty), am I vulnerable while
>>waiting for McAfee to take its sweet time to start up?

I've had the same problem with Norton Anit-virus scans. I want it to
scan when I'm not at work but that means I have to lock my station, if
I log out it won't run until I log back in. Utterly useless.
My best guess is that these software components are not services, and
therefore can't run without a user logged in.

Alex