[vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Dec 7 08:47:32 PST 2006

p at dirac.org wrote:
> I'm now on a home network where IP addresses are handed out dynamically by
> the router/bridge/DSL modem combo.  Suppose I have two Linux computers,
> Satan and Lucifer.
>
> Now that I no longer have predictable IP addresses on the home network, how
> do I accomplish something like:
>
>    satan$ ssh p at lucifer
>
> when there's no longer a valid /etc/hosts file?
>
> Thanks!
> Peter

Turn off DHCP serving on the router.  Then pick one of your linux boxes
to be your new DHCP plus DNS server for the LAN.  Then install and
configure dnsmasq (http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html) on that
box, and it will solve your problem.  Dnsmasq is a perfect little util
for exactly this situation: a small DHCP server which has a built-in DNS
server - unlike most small LAN routers, as you've seen.

I've been using dnsmasq for a few years now, and it works like a charm.
  It took a little bit of trial and error at first to configure it
right, but after that it was "set it and forget it".  If you have any
probs. configuring it (or want to see a copy of my config), email me
back on or off-list.

DR