[vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Thu Dec 7 07:35:58 PST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, p at dirac.org wrote:

> I'm now on a home network where IP addresses are handed out dynamically by
> the router/bridge/DSL modem combo.  Suppose I have two Linux computers,
> Satan and Lucifer.
>
> Now that I no longer have predictable IP addresses on the home network, how
> do I accomplish something like:
>
>   satan$ ssh p at lucifer
>
> when there's no longer a valid /etc/hosts file?
>
> Thanks!
> Peter

   Dear Peter,

   Assuming you want to keep the IP addresses dynamic, you can find the
address assigned to lucifer using ifconfig as root and seeing the address
assigned to eth0. If it were 192.168.0.53, you could ssh p at 192.168.0.53
from satan. The dynamic address assigned to lucifer should remain the same
until a reboot. You can use scp and rsync the same way.

   Yours,

     Chris