[vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Fri Dec 8 11:21:16 PST 2006

P=E5 2006-12-07, skrev David Rosenstrauch:
[...]
> Turn off DHCP serving on the router.  Then pick one of your linux boxes =

> to be your new DHCP plus DNS server for the LAN.  Then install and =

> configure dnsmasq (http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html) on that =

> box, and it will solve your problem.  Dnsmasq is a perfect little util =

> for exactly this situation: a small DHCP server which has a built-in DNS =

> server - unlike most small LAN routers, as you've seen.
> =

> I've been using dnsmasq for a few years now, and it works like a charm. =

>  It took a little bit of trial and error at first to configure it =

> right, but after that it was "set it and forget it".  If you have any =

> probs. configuring it (or want to see a copy of my config), email me =

> back on or off-list.

I concurr with the recommendation to use dnsmasq. I did not find it
particularly difficult to configure. (I'm using it for DNS only, with
dhcpd version 3 running separately for address assignment.) A feature of
dnsmasq worth noting is that it can set MX records for all hosts, which
makes mail routing within your private network work easily.

-- =

Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13