[vox-tech] Setting default directory for FTP users

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Fri Apr 14 10:41:49 PDT 2006

I'm setting up a webserver which several people in our department will be
developing on.  Different users will have access to different directories,
some will access to shared directories, and so on.  It made sense to me to
set up all the users and groups, and assign users to the appropriate
groups, and then assign group ownership to the different web directories.
I've disabled shell access for most of the users, since my boss and I will
be the only ones who will ever need that.

The directory structure looks something like this:

/var/www/html/OURDOMAIN
+--> SUBDOMAIN1

+--> SUBDOMAIN2

+--> SUBDOMAIN3

etc.

My question is: is it possible to set it up so that when a user logs in
with an FTP application, they're sent to a different directory than their
own home directory?  For example, if user Bob can develop in both
SUBDOMAIN1 and SUBDOMAIN2, can I set it up so that when he logs in with
FileZilla he defaults to the OURDOMAIN instead of /home/bob?  If so, how
do I do this?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com