[vox-tech] Install windows in linux Red Hat Enterprise

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon May 23 13:00:49 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:18:15PM -0700, Stanley Price wrote:
> In order to run Peachtree, I need to install a windows operating system.
> When I installed the linux on the hard drive, I have five partitioned
> sections.  Two are:
>
>    none   95,164,  with 0 used, marked dev/shm

This one doesn't represent any drive (hence "none" on the left),
and is, based on the mount point ("dev/shm"), a virtual filesystem
representing your system's shared memory.

>    /dev/hda5   104170, 0 used, marked tmp1
>
> How do I install windows on the system?
> I am running a 686 AMD processer, (with too little RAM at the moment),
> and Red Hat Enterprise.

Is hda5 (the 5th partition of your first drive, HDA) actually unused,
or is it used for some kind of temp filesystem?  (Not having been there
when you installed Linux, I have no way of telling, obviously ;^) )

Run "mount" to see what's mounted right now.  For example, on a server
I have access to, I see something like:

  $ mount
  /dev/hde1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
  proc on /proc type proc (rw)
  usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

(That's a 2.4 kernel, BTW, so "mount" output may be different.)

If "/dev/hda5" is actually mounted, you can go take a look and see what's
there (go into the directory it's mounted "on"), and maybe check and see
how much space is being used via "df".  e.g.:

  $ df
  /dev/hde1              5766952    554020   4919984  11% /

If it's unused, you SHOULD be okay to install Windows on it.
Now, how to do that?  No idea.  I don't use Windows, except at work
on a laptop (not dual-booting; too little HD space and little reason to
use Linux at work, except on the server, at the moment... :^( )

Good luck!