[vox-tech] Install windows in linux Red Hat Enterprise

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Mon May 23 12:26:21 PDT 2005

On Mon 23 May 05, 12:18 PM, Stanley Price <sprice at internet49.com> said:
> In order to run Peachtree, I need to install a windows operating system.
> When I installed the linux on the hard drive, I have five partitioned
> sections.  Two are:
>
>    none   95,164,  with 0 used, marked dev/shm
>    /dev/hda5   104170, 0 used, marked tmp1
>
> How do I install windows on the system?
> I am running a 686 AMD processer, (with too little RAM at the moment),
> and Red Hat Enterprise.
>
> Thanks,
> Stanley Price

Shouldn't be too hard.

The simplest thing to do would be to add a second hard drive (primary
master) and install windows on that.

Then use, for example, this:

   http://gonffen.f2o.org/archives/grub/x132.html

to re-install on your MBR.  Once you do, you can boot into Linux.

Once in linux, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to tell grub about your Windows
Operating system.

In my experience, people who say that Windows *must* be on the primary
master are just plain wrong.  Grub can work miracles.  However, I'm fairly
that the Windows *installer* requires that you install onto the primary
master.  This info could be useful if you want to keep your linux hard drive
as /dev/hda so you don't have to monkey with /etc/fstab.

Pete

ps- If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason why you *must*
install peachtree?  Is that some kind of accounting software?   Is there no
opensource equivalent?  No programs that can import peachtree data?

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein