[vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Josh Parsons jbparsons at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 26 14:37:21 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 13:54 -0800, Richard Burkhart wrote:

> I'm trying to learn the arcane art of kernel compiles ... my goal is to
> get ndiswrapper compiled as a module, operational, and driving a linksys
> wireless card.

I'm sure that others will give you advice on how to compile the kernel.
As Pete said, it's not really arcane at all. I'd also suggest that you
do it manually, rather than using dpkg or some other package system to
do it for you. There are various docs around on how to do this.

I thought you would like to know that I'm using a broadcom-based linksys
wifi card with my Fedora Core 3 system under ndiswrapper with a great
deal of success (though it took a while to get it working in the first
place, and there is a long story about the evil UC bookshop who sold me
the bloody thing and wouldn't let me return it when I found it doesn't
easily work under linux).

Can I ask why you need to recompile the kernel?  You should be able to
install ndiswrapper without recompiling the kernel - though you need to
have a set of configured kernel headers on your system (and that usually
means having the kernel source). There is an exception to this, which is
that ndis drivers are fussy about kernel configuration (in particular
the 4K stack option).  So, you should only need to recompile the kernel
if you need to change the kernel configuration.

There are other gotchas as well, but they can wait until you've got
ndiswrapper compiled.

--
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department