[vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed Jan 26 15:15:20 PST 2005

On Wed 26 Jan 05,  2:31 PM, Richard Burkhart <richard at khanfusion.net> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> >Hi Richard,
> >
> >On Wed 26 Jan 05,  1:54 PM, Richard Burkhart <richard at khanfusion.net> said:
> >

> >>I'm trying to learn the arcane art of kernel compiles
> >>

> >You need to get this out of your head -- there's nothing arcane about
> >compiling a kernel.  It should be a very common and natural thing for you
> >do.
>

> So is walking, after you've been doing it for a while.  Toddlers often
> bounce off of the floor a number of times before they get the method down.

Walking isn't arcane, even to a toddler.  Difficult, perhaps.  Not arcane.

Arcane means that something requires secret knowledge.  There's nothing
secret about the Linux kernel.  It's documented up and down the Internet.
:)

> >I've found the most common reasons for panics during the boot phase of a
> >home compiled kernel:
> >  * something important was built as a module and it shouldn't have
> >     (no more initrd).
> >  * forgot to build your root filesystem's filesystem into the kernel.
> >  * forgot to include the proper IDE / mobo chipset support.
>
> I couldn't say when it is happening, b'cause I'm writing this at work --
> I've got the laptop with me, but spending too much time playing with it
> tends to gain the attention of employers.

This is a crucial question because it'll tell you precisely what the problem
is.  A "kernel panic" is meaningless.  A "kernel that panics because it can't
mount a root filesystem" is definitely useful.

> I THINK that I mis-read a warning last night when I dpkg-installed the
> kernel.  I'd already done a 2.4.29 kernel once, and was trying to do it
> again ... it gave me a warning about overwriting modules, that I thought
> wouldn't be an issue because I was using the same code tree ... it
> should have simply overwritten them with the same modules.  *shrug*.

I dunno.  But I have to agree with Josh.  I like the non-Debian way of
installing kernels better.  I'm sure others will disagree with me, so YMMV.
:-)

> >But to answer your question, your kernel is likely to be in /boot with a
> >symlink to /.
> >
> >Your modules are located in /lib/modules/x.y.z.
>
> And assuming I can't figure out things the dpkg way ... deleting the
> kernel image in /boot (and any symlink in root), the 2.4.29 module
> directory(ies), and a GRUB configuration edit will properly clean me out?

Absolutely.  You'll be right as rain.

> Or maybe clean my clock?

Never.  As long as you have one working working kernel, there's nothing to
worry about.

When you get around to fine-tuning your system, I personally build anything
that's ABSOLUTELY required for my system into the kernel rather than load it
as a module.  For example, ext2/ext3 gets bolted into my kernels since
there's never a time when I don't want it in my kernel.

Pete