[vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Richard Burkhart richard at khanfusion.net
Wed Jan 26 14:46:29 PST 2005

Josh Parsons wrote:

>Can I ask why you need to recompile the kernel?  You should be able to
>install ndiswrapper without recompiling the kernel - though you need to
>have a set of configured kernel headers on your system (and that usually
>means having the kernel source). There is an exception to this, which is
>that ndis drivers are fussy about kernel configuration (in particular
>the 4K stack option).  So, you should only need to recompile the kernel
>if you need to change the kernel configuration.

This is a new Sarge install - which gave me a kernel image (w) no
headers or source.  The Debian archive I'm linked to (UC Berkeley's)
doesn't have the headers for their version of 2.4.25 ... so I decided to
view this as a learning experience, pulled down 2.4.29 source from
kernel.org, and set about pounding my head into the desk ... er ... um
... finally learning kernel compiles.