[vox-tech] Looking for recommendation: video capture/TV tuner

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Sat Feb 19 08:53:50 PST 2005

I have a WinTV PVR 250 in my myth tv box that does a wonderful job.  It has
both S-video and Composite inputs.  The encoder processor is on the board so
the 3Ghz P4 doesn't have to sweat.

The .nuv (Nuppel Video) files that are generated can be converted with
nuvexport to a variety of formats.

From the nuvexport man page.
EXPORT TYPES
     Supported export formats:

     XviD - export to XviD AVI file
     SVCD - export to SVCD compliaint mpeg files, optionally burn SVCD disc
     VCD - export to VCD compliant mpeg files, optionally burn VCD disc
     DVCD - export to VCD format, but using 48kHz audio, useful for DVDs
     DVD - export to DVD
     WMV - Windows Media Player files, exports ASF files with the mpeg4 codec
     MP3 - Export audio track to a Mp3
     MPEG2->MPEG2 cut - cuts commercials tagged by mythtv and gives
         you a mpeg file. This only works for Mpeg-2 recorded media,
         like that recorded with a PVR-x25 card
     nuv and sql - dumps mysql database so it can be moved to another
         mythtv backend

I have experimented with my DV cam dragging off DV and converting to SVCD and
VCD.  Works pretty good.  I haven't tried VCR.  Kino (free) is a good editing
tool as well as MainActor (commercial), there is always Adobe Premiere.

Have plenty of disk, fast disk subsystem/filesystem I/O and plenty of CPU and
RAM.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com