[vox-tech] bittorrent: tracker doesn't like me?

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Sep 24 09:39:48 PDT 2004

On Fri 24 Sep 04,  9:06 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil dcn.davis.ca.us> said:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Ryan wrote:
>
> > On Friday 24 September 2004 06:19 am, p-at-dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman)
> > |lugod| wrote:
> > > Imagine you see this:
> > >
> > >    status:   finishing in 199:29:45 (42.1%)
> > >    dl speed: 0.7 KB/s
> > >    ul speed: 3.6 KB/s
> > >    sharing:  3.688  (1243.2 MB up / 337.1 MB down)
> > >    seeds: 12 seen now, plus .999 distributed copies
> > >    peers:  4 seen now
>
> Seen similar things many times, though not with quite the same imbalance.
>

> > > I mean, what's a guy to think?   If I didn't know better, I'd say that the
> > > tracker has a personal grudge against me.   :-/
> > >
> > > With 12 seeders, the dl speed should be going like gangbusters.  And it
> > > isn't a minor fluke, because look at the actual MB uploaded and downloaded.
> > > The thing I'm downloading is 800MB.  I've already uploaded it!  I'm working
> > > on uploading it twice!
>
> Beg your pardon? you may have uploaded 25% of it six times.

or 12.5% twelve times.  But you know what I mean.  I was just moaning about
the injustice of it all.  I only wish I *could've* uploaded it twice.    :-)

> This does seem unusually out of whack... like you have built up
> connections with a large number of others who DID shut down before they
> had uploaded as much as they downloaded... and it takes time to get new
> sharing connections going after a dropout.

Really?  Is there a way to check on the history of the status of my
bittorrent connections?

> You might want to check that you are using the latest BT version...
> bittornado.

Yeah -- I'm using bittornado 0.3.7-3 from Debian testing.  Even if it's not
the most recent version, it can't be too crusty...

This really blows.   :(

Pete