[vox-tech] bittorrent: tracker doesn't like me?

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Sep 24 09:06:22 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Ryan wrote:

> On Friday 24 September 2004 06:19 am, p-at-dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman)
> |lugod| wrote:
> > Imagine you see this:
> >
> >    status:   finishing in 199:29:45 (42.1%)
> >    dl speed: 0.7 KB/s
> >    ul speed: 3.6 KB/s
> >    sharing:  3.688  (1243.2 MB up / 337.1 MB down)
> >    seeds: 12 seen now, plus .999 distributed copies
> >    peers:  4 seen now

Seen similar things many times, though not with quite the same imbalance.

> > I mean, what's a guy to think?   If I didn't know better, I'd say that the
> > tracker has a personal grudge against me.   :-/
> >
> > With 12 seeders, the dl speed should be going like gangbusters.  And it
> > isn't a minor fluke, because look at the actual MB uploaded and downloaded.
> > The thing I'm downloading is 800MB.  I've already uploaded it!  I'm working
> > on uploading it twice!

Beg your pardon? you may have uploaded 25% of it six times.

> > How does this happen with bittorrent?  I thought trackers were suppose to
> > keep things fair.  Nobody can accuse me of shutting down a torrent before
> > my sharing goes below a 1.0.
>
> Are your bittorrent ports open to the internet? This can make a big diffrence
> in speed.

The fact that he has uploaded anything at all answers this response.

This does seem unusually out of whack... like you have built up
connections with a large number of others who DID shut down before they
had uploaded as much as they downloaded... and it takes time to get new
sharing connections going after a dropout.

You might want to check that you are using the latest BT version...
bittornado.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing