[vox-tech] bittorrent: tracker doesn't like me?

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Sep 24 10:32:08 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> On Fri 24 Sep 04,  9:06 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil dcn.davis.ca.us> said:
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Ryan wrote:
> >
> > > On Friday 24 September 2004 06:19 am, p-at-dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman)

> > Seen similar things many times, though not with quite the same imbalance.

> > Beg your pardon? you may have uploaded 25% of it six times.
>
> or 12.5% twelve times.  But you know what I mean.  I was just moaning about
> the injustice of it all.  I only wish I *could've* uploaded it twice.    :-)
>
> > This does seem unusually out of whack... like you have built up
> > connections with a large number of others who DID shut down before they
> > had uploaded as much as they downloaded... and it takes time to get new
> > sharing connections going after a dropout.
>
> Really?  Is there a way to check on the history of the status of my
> bittorrent connections?

Not that I am aware of... I have just spent more time than I should admit
watching BT pick up and lose connections, and thinking about the fact that
I (then on an ADSL line) was serving as one of someone elses typically
four connections, which due to the asymmetry of my connection was very
slow.  So they might be uploading fast, but they sure weren't getting the
same speed from me as they were giving.

> > You might want to check that you are using the latest BT version...
> > bittornado.
>
> Yeah -- I'm using bittornado 0.3.7-3 from Debian testing.  Even if it's not
> the most recent version, it can't be too crusty...
>
> This really blows.   :(

The lesson I learned from my time monitoring BT connections is that a
watched pot never boils... energy spent worrying about it won't pay
off unless you spend it studying the code, and maybe not then either.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing