[vox-tech] Greylisting and LUGOD

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Tue Sep 14 10:52:09 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 10:31 am, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 09:39:15AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > (2) Mail from first-time posters, or from those who post
> >     less frequently than once per month, would likely be
> >     delayed by an hour or so.
>
> Would intervention from listadmins be necessary?

No, it's all automatic.

> > (3) This *might* allow me to eliminate the current blocking
> >     of mail from dynamic IPs.
>
> Coo'
>

> > Comments?
>
> Sounds good to me, though I didn't read the whitepaper... ;)

Alright, here's the simplified version in the spirit of your
famous "pizza" analogy:

Alice is at a big party.  A guy goes up to her and says,
"wanna dance?".  Alice has never seen him before and says
"um, ask me later".  If the guy is a spammer he goes on to
the next girl and never comes back.

The RFC-compliant guy, however, does come back and ask
again.  She remembers him.  He gets the dance, and is never
again turned down.

Maybe one of the spammers does come back and ask again.  But
in the meantime, Alice's friend June comes over and says,
"You know that guy you were just talking to?  He's a real
jerk, you don't want to mess with him!".

The girl, you see, does greylisting, and June is a DNS-based
blacklist.  :-)

-- Rod