[vox-tech] Greylisting and LUGOD

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Tue Sep 14 10:49:07 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Rod Roark wrote:

> I ran across this during my morning reading:
>
>   http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/whitepaper.html
>
> of which there seems to be a good Postfix implementation
> (Postfix is my MTA of choice):
>
>   http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/postgrey/
>
> So I'm seriously considering putting this on my server.
[...]

  I don't quite understand. I read the whitepaper, and it sounded like the
graylisting program is useful only for mail sent directly to the MTA to be
forwarded elsewhere - such as an ISP that forwards the e-mail of its own
users. Mail coming from relays is automatically forwarded, since there is
no point in asking the relay to retry when you know it will. It seems that
the ultimate recipient (the LUGOD mailing list, for example) can't make
use of graylisting because the sending server is a relay. Am I missing
something?

  Thanks,

    Chris