[vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Bruce Wolk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 May 2004 21:22:21 -0700

Jonathan Stickel said the following on 05/24/04 09:17:
> Bruce Wolk wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> <snip>

> <snip>
>

>>> Don't give up on Gentoo yet!  Printing from KDE apps sends the job
>>> through "kprinter".  At the bottom of the kprinter window is a
>>> selection for "print system currently used".  Make sure that cups is
>>> selected.  I remember that something else, like lpr, was the
>>> default.  If this doesn't work, let me know.  I can think of other
>>> things to troubleshoot, one at a time.
>>>
>>> BTW:  you can use the kprinter system for printing in non-KDE apps,
>>> like acroread and mozilla.  For the print command in the appropriate
>>> gui window, enter "kprinter".
>>>
>> cups is definitely selected. What is odd is that Kate prints out fine,
>> but the Kword fonts are uniformly awful.
>>
>> Gentoo has been great except for this one glitch, so I am not giving
>> up yet, especially since openoffice works just fine.
>>

> Hmm... looking up your printer on linuxprinting.org
> (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1300),
> I see this note:
>
> "User Notes
> Printer works as designed.
> The foomatic ppd file does not work, use the NT ppd file in CUPS.
> It can be found on the cd that comes with the printer.
> The file is called "hp1300nt.ppd" and there should be multiple ones for
> each translation. Works perfectly, just copy it to /usr/share/cups/model/
> to use it with CUPS."

I added the hp1300nt.ppd file.  Trying to install a printer with cups
gave me no new options.  In fact cups lists only a few hp drivers.  So I
am wondering whether something is wrong there. But I was able to add a
printer with the new driver using kde printing manager and activate it
through cups.  Kate prints even nicer now--no dithering on the
greyscale--but Kword prints poorly still and, even more surprisingly,
firefox won't print at all!  The printer light also flashes continuously
after a job.  So I am back to square one.

Would an unmerge of cups and foomatic followed by an emerge be worth a
try, or is that dangerous?

Bruce