[vox-tech] data recovery via linux

dylan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 23 May 2004 19:47:23 -0700

>> On Thu, 20 May 2004, Mark K. Kim wrote:
>>

>>> If you know what the partition should look like (i.e., One primary
>>> partition that tapes up the entire hard drive), you can recreate it using
>>> a non-destructive partitioning utility and get the data back.  That's
>>> assuming the actual partition itself is intact.  I've done this using
>>> `fdisk` under Linux to recover a partition, but each partitioning utility
>>> is a little different, so using a partitioning utility to recover a
>>> partition that wasn't originally used to create it could be a problem.
>>> In my situation, the original partition *was* created using `fdisk` so
>>> recreating it using `fdisk` didn't cause any problem.

thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

i was able to rescue the data by using fdisk in linux to re-create the
partition map (which appeared to have been erased!) based on what i
remembered. after creating the partition map, and setting the single
partition to ntfs, i was able to mount the partition and copy the files!!

everyone in the lab says "THANK YOU" !

dylan