[vox-tech] Getting PCMCIA Working Under the 2.6.5 Kernel

Chris Jenks vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 07:47:41 -0700 (PDT)

  Hello,

  I've been preparing to use an IBM Thinkpad 701C (75 MHz 486 DX4, 40MB
memory, 3.2GB drive) as a server, but would like to use a recent kernel to
take advantage of the ext3 file format. Everything works fine under the
stock version 2.2.20 kernel, but when I compile kernel 2.6.5, I get the
following message after the boot sequence:

Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[527]: no sockets found!
done.

The operating system is Debian testing with the latest upgrade and
pcmcia-cs installed. The patched kernel source was obtained from the
kernel-source-2.6.5 package. The "PCMCIA-CardBus support" was compiled in,
but no selection of additional options seems to cause cardmgr to work.
When I googled for a solution, it seemed that maybe source for the PCMCIA
drivers (separate from the kernel source) needed to be included in the
kernel source directory, but the newest PCMCIA driver package for testing
is kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.26-1-386. Am I on the right track, and if
so, where should I get the proper driver source?

  Thanks,

    Chris