[vox-tech] Has anyone done cartography on Linux?

dylan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 17 May 2004 19:04:08 -0700

on 04.5.17 5:33 PM, Henry House at hajhouse@houseag.com was reported to hav=
writen:

> P=E5 m=E5ndag, 17 maj 2004, skrev dylan:
>> forgot to mention: here is a small collection of useful GIS/mapping link=
>> that i have put together... along with a lot of other unrelated stuff
>> (ignore that)
>>=20
>> http://fungus.ucdavis.edu/~dylan/gis/
>=20
> Thanks, this looks like helpful information. I might need to learn GRASS
> after all, since the USDA-NRCS is converting all its soil maps into GIS
> databases. Did you learn GRASS from its own documentation, or from anothe=
> source? Is there a book that you recommend on GRASS?

GRASS is a really neat tool, however it does take a bit of time to get used
to it. (especially if you have been brought up on ESRI products)...

one way to jump right into it is with the sample data sets, and associated
tutorials:
http://grass.baylor.edu/gdp/tutorials.html

however, there is a book out that was published in 2002, and has since been
updated in 2003:
http://mpa.itc.it/grassbook/

the book looks like a great resource, but it is a tad pricey at $118!

i have been thinking about getting it, but might wait for the latest
edition, as the software is in somewhat of a transition right now.

if you are interested in using/accessing the soil survey data let me know,
as the digital databases (SSURGO and STATSGO) are a gold mine of informatio=
once input into a decent RDBMS/GIS !!

as a last resort, i would recommend joining the GRASS mailing list, or mayb=
even signing up for the newsletter. the mailing list is very responsive, an=
i am usually always able to get answers in a couple of days, if not sooner.
kind of like VOX

good luck!

Dylan