[vox-tech] Alert! Regulator failure.

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:54:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Karalius, Joseph wrote:

> I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 running sarge that completely freezes up every
> once in a while.  So I do a hard reboot and get "Alert!  Regulator failure."
> before the BIOS splash.  Only after a shutdown (power off) can I boot back
> up.  I can find confirmation of this problem out there on the overclocking
> sites, but still no real answers for a fix.  Anybody run into this before?
> Is this a fatal flaw in the motherboard? (mobo specs not available right
> now)  I was gonna start looking into a system upgrade anyway, but for the
> time being it would be nice to know what I'm up against here.

I am not an overclocker, but I work with electronics and electrical stuff
a lot.  From the description below, it sounds like certain processes may
be working the cpu and cache so hard that they draw enough current for
long enough to trigger the low-voltage watchdog circuitry.  I think it
would depend on the mobo/cpu combination as to which voltage regulator is
involved and just how low the voltage is going, but generally there are
bus voltage regulators and cpu voltage regulators.  BIOSs generally have
the option to increase the target voltages these days (and to change the
allowable variation in voltage?), but increasing the target voltages
increases your power dissipation which can cause the cpu to burn out if
you don't reduce your clock rate.  I suspect that the amount you would
have to increase it by to fix your problem would be small enough that this
really wouldn't be a concern... but you have to be aware of why you don't
want to go too far.  Letting the voltage go too low increases your chance
of data corruption, so you probably don't want to mess with that (if you
even can).

The description below describes the use of MMXCore operations as being a
known trigger for this kind of thing... since that is on the CPU die, one
might suspect the cpu voltage is the culprit... but MMXCore also makes
harsh demands on the transfer of data in and out of the cpu, so it could
be one or more of the external voltages.

Hope that helps...