testing packages in gentoo (was Re: [vox-tech] xorg X11R6.7.0)

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 07 May 2004 10:43:54 -0700

Daniel Hurt wrote:

> <snip>
>

> | It is better to have modified or custom ebuilds in /usr/local/portage.
> | You will also need to uncomment
> |
> | PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
> |
> | in /etc/make.conf.  Just copy over your modified ebuilds, into an
> | equivalent folder tree.  These will not get overwritten when you do an
> | emerge sync.
> |

> Actually, I found the solution if you would like to use an unstable package.
> I have not been paying enough attention to the gentoo boards.  Instead of
> modifiying the ebuild to make the package stable, you should add it to this
> file:
>
> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>
> Quote:
> "So an example package.keywords file might look like this:
>
> Code:
> sys-devel/gcc ~x86
> x11-base/xfree ~x86
>

> This would tell portage that it should use the "~x86" keyword for gcc and
> xfree and the "x86" keyword for everything else."
>
> The reference is a discussion on using emerge -U instead of emerge -u:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1060314#1060314
>
> Dan

Ah, yes, this looks like a much better solution for inclusion of testing
packages.  I'll give it a try the next time I run my upgrades.  Thanks
for posting to the list!

Jonathan