[vox-tech] xorg X11R6.7.0

Daniel Hurt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 7 May 2004 09:45:57 -0700

<snip>

| It is better to have modified or custom ebuilds in /usr/local/portage.
| You will also need to uncomment
|
| PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
|
| in /etc/make.conf.  Just copy over your modified ebuilds, into an
| equivalent folder tree.  These will not get overwritten when you do an
| emerge sync.

Actually, I found the solution if you would like to use an unstable package.
I have not been paying enough attention to the gentoo boards.  Instead of
modifiying the ebuild to make the package stable, you should add it to this
file:

/etc/portage/package.keywords

Quote:
"So an example package.keywords file might look like this:

Code:
sys-devel/gcc ~x86
x11-base/xfree ~x86

This would tell portage that it should use the "~x86" keyword for gcc and
xfree and the "x86" keyword for everything else."

The reference is a discussion on using emerge -U instead of emerge -u:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1060314#1060314

Dan

| > $ emerge -ua world
| >
| > It will build the correct dependency tree.  This is opposed to the
| following
| > command:
| >
| > $ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -ua world
| >
| > The problem is that it will apply the keyword settings to all the
| packages in
| > the world file and that can seriously break the system (tried that once
| and
| > had to rebuild ;-).
| >
| Oops! :)
|

| > Dan

| > |
| > | After all the craziness caused by the license change for xfree-4.4,
| xorg
| > | (part of freedesktop?) has released X11R6.7.0, with much of it based on
| > | xfree-4.4, minus the license change of course.  Read about it here:
| > |
| > | http://freedesktop.org/cgi-
| bin/viewcvs.cgi/xorg/xc/RELNOTES?rev=1.1.4.2.2.3
| > |
| > | The bottom line is that a new X11 is available with a friendly license.
| > |   It already is in gentoo's portage, marked testing for x86 and stable
| > | for amd64.  I installed it simply like this:
| > |
| > | #emerge -C xfree
| > | #ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xorg-x11
| > |
| > | I moved my old /etc/X11/XF86Config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but it will
| > | use XF86Config if xorg.conf is not available.  I also had to install
| and
| > | configure some fonts, but otherwise all looks comparable to xfree-4.3.
| > |
| > | However, I was disappointed to see that dri was still not included for
| > | my video card (S3 twisterk, using the savage driver).  After some
| > | googling (http://linux-sxs.org/guis/DRIS3.html), I downloaded X11 from
| > | the cvs tree.  I just wanted the savage driver from cvs, but I had to
| > | compile the whole thing.  Fortunately, just copying over savage.ko,
| > | savage_drv.o, and savage_dri.so to their appropriate places worked!  I
| > | now have dri using xorg-x11, but with drivers from cvs.
| > |