[vox-tech] Kernel upgrade from Sarge (fresh install) 2.4.25 -> 2.6.3 or 5

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 2 May 2004 09:34:14 -0700

On 2004.05.02 00:32, Rob Rogers wrote:

> > > all this stuff is irrelevent.
> >
> > irrelevent because it's obvious or it doesn't effect building the
> kernel?
> > If the later, every howto or article about building a kernel on deb has
> the
> > reader install some combo of those before they build the kernel
>
> Irrelevent to the kernel panic problem. It's necessary stuff for
> building the kernel, but if you were missing something here, you'd see
> the problem long before you were trying to actually boot your new
> kernel.
>
> I think Jonathan pretty much covered the reasons you got your panic...
> I've had the same issues before, and it was lack of IDE device and
> filesystem support in my kernel. (well, actually lack of a proper
> initrd, but that's easily fixed by building those things into your
> kernel)

I think I also recall reading that before you generate the initrd, you need
to add the appropriate module names (and also the names of those modules'
dependancies) to a file somewhere (/etc/modules?), because the initrd
doesn't have module dependancy information available so early in bootup,
and the kernel can't guess what is needed that early in the bootup process.
Am I correct?