[vox-tech] Password Security...

William Perdue vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 01 May 2004 09:34:33 -0700

Hello, I'm William...

I've been having some trouble with my security in my server.... I am
running Red Hat Linux 9 with the Linux SSH Client software.

Looking through my logs, I found that a hacker got hold of my Root
password... it was _not_ the default (it was 17 characters) .... the server
sits behind my router with a local IP address

My Firewall is set at a high level  and The Server config is far from the
defaults...

My Question: could they have obtained my root password?..

Another thing,,, Is there an easy way I can figure out if they installed
any software on my server, like a trapdoor that would allow access now that
I have changed the password?

William Perdue
E-mail: william@williamperdue.com
Web site: www.williamperdue.com
To be or not to be that is the question.
                                 -Shakspeare