[vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Mitch Patenaude vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:13:09 -0800

I could be wrong, but I believe that Cat5 uses all 4 *pairs* of wires,
and not just 4 wires.  Maybe that's only for full duplex....

IIRC, Cat3 (i.e. 10baseT) was designed with phone compatibility in
mind.. and leaves the center pair unvired, so that it's compatible with
the older rj11 plugs in a very direct way.  You can plug an old rj11
plug into a rj45 jack, and I think that the original conception was
that every jack would carry both phone and ehternet, and you could plug
either computer or phone in as needed.

   -- Mitch