[vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Jeremy Brown vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:52:37 -0800

Mark's original idea should work if he's happy with 10BaseT and doesn't
mind some potential extra noise on both the phone and data lines.

The trick I'd use if I wanted to do this without spending a lot is get a
couple 10BaseT splitters like these
http://www.directron.com/1206510.html
http://www.pagecomputers.com/cgi-bin/page/S0253406.html
http://www.costcentral.com/prod/Belkin/R6G022/117637/
and rewire a couple phone cords with rj45 plugs on one end. Either that
or move to the UK and get a coolport. From what I know, there's no easy,
clean, and cheap solution.

I don't think you're supposed to mix voice and data on cat5, which would
explain the lack of products that would do this, but I could be wrong.

-Jeremy