[vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:44:45 -0800 (PST)

So my dad's workroom has no phone line, believe it or not.  I do have a
phone line in my room, though, and we got a ethernet line between our two
rooms.  Since 10baseT uses only 4 of the 8 lines on the cat5 cable I'd
like to use the unused lines to carry the voice signal.  I know cat5 was
designed to do this (middle two lines are open), and I've done it before
with custom adapters (messy), but I can't find any splitter online that
does this.  Anyone know where I can get a pair?  What's it called?

Thanks!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim