[vox-tech] Cloning a drive?

MB sparkynine at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 19 13:25:45 PDT 2004

Here is how I clone drives -- normally I boot into linux ( on a separate
system ), and then mount the original drive via external  usb case, and
then mount the clone drive via a second external usb case.  This method
should work just as well if you boot with a knoppix or other cdrom linux
distro, and have both drives on the IDE bus.

1. Boot knoppix cd.

2. Mount your original drive -- mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/orig_10gig_drive

3. partition your clone drive -- cfdisk /dev/hdb (or wherever your drive
need to be mounted from)
    a. I have just one partition, so if you have /tmp or /home or
whatever on separate partitions, then you will need to adjust these
instructions accordingly, so that your new drive has a similar layout --
i.e. if your original drive has one partition for linux and a swap
partition, make the clone the same adjusting the sizes to accommodate
the full 20gig drive.  That includes making the clone partitions in the
same order on the drive.
    b. don't forget to make your main/root partition "bootable" and your
swap partition as a type "83"
    c. you can check the partitions on the original drive with -- fdisk -l

4. format your clone drive -- mke2fs -v /dev/hdb1 ( add -j for an ext3
filesystem )

5. mount your clone drive -- mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/clone_20gig_drive

6. copy all files from old drive to clone -- cp --preserve=all -r
/mnt/orig_10gig_drive/* /mnt/clone_20gig_drive/.

7. create /mnt/clone_20gig_drive/lilo_tmp_hdb.conf with something like:

boot=/dev/hdb
disk=/dev/hdb
root=/dev/hdb1
map=/mnt/clone_20gig_drive/boot/map # I don't remember...
install=/mnt/clone_20gig_drive/boot/boot.b # copy from host
#loader=/mnt/usbDrive2/boot/chain.b        # -"-
#backup=/dev/null
vga=normal
default=linux
lba32
prompt
timeout=100
delay=100
image=/mnt/clone_20gig_drive/vmlinuz
        optional
        label=linux
        append="root=/dev/hda1" # kernel options
        read-only

8. Then run -- lilo -v -C /mnt/clone_20gig_drive/lilo_tmp_hdb.conf

9. Remove your original 10 gig drive, and replace with new 20 gig drive,
changing the drive jumper as needed.

10. boot new system.

Good luck.

Mark