[vox-tech] multiple OS's on one computer

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Jul 27 16:17:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm planning a system that has a few different Linux distros that I want
> > to try, in addition to Debian.  Seems like a good thing to have separate
> > partitions to share between them.  First order approximation was:

[...]

> So that leaves:
> >
> >    /usr/local
> >    /boot
> >
> > to share between distros.  I *was* thinking of making /usr/local FAT32
> > so it can be accessible under MS Windows if necessary.  But then I found
> > that there's an ext2 filesystem driver for MS Windows (wow!).  [1]
>
> Also, FAT32 does NOT seem support symlinks, so this can be a major
> problem for some program functionality.  It does store data just fine,
> so I often make a separate FAT32 partition to share between Windows and
> Linux on my dual boot computers.  I haven't checked out reading ext2/3
> in windows yet, but I have heard of it.

I, too, have heard of making ext2 accessible from Windows, but I decided I
did NOT want Windows to have direct access to those partitions, in case a
virus came along and did anything to them. (Remember, if you allow
physical access to your machine, you have no security... and letting
Windows touch your Linux data is just too scary for me.)

[...]

> > [1] At work, I have to use Outlook, and I'm absolutely miserable.  So
> > miserable that sometimes I'll open up gvim, compose my message, and cut
> > and paste into Outlook.
> >
> > As an act of desperation, I did a Google search for "vim Outlook" and
> > found there's some kind of plugin for Outlook that gives you a vimish
> > editor to work with.  Definitely on my list of things to do.

I hate outlook... I hate outlook....

Receive HTML email, hit reply, convert to text, copy sig to bottom,
manually insert "> " at the beginning of each line, reformatting manually
as I go, then start composing reply.  Ctrl-Enter during this procedure
will conveniently send the message before the reformatting is done.

Also, when in doubt, delete suspicious email without opening it to avoid
giving IE a chance to parse it.  Inform people who complain that you never
replied that your spam filter must have eaten it (never minding that the
final stage of the spam filter is manual).

I hate outlook... I hate outlook....

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing