[vox-tech] multiple OS's on one computer

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 12:44:46 PDT 2004

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning a system that has a few different Linux distros that I want
> to try, in addition to Debian.  Seems like a good thing to have separate
> partitions to share between them.  First order approximation was:
>
>    /home
>    /usr/local
>    /boot
>
> so all distros can share things like kernels.  But then I realized /home
> wouldn't do since different distros have different versions of this and
> that, and therefore have different dot files.

Not sure why this would be a problem.  Newer versions of programs are
often backwards compatible with the config files that reside in /home.
If not, usually the file changes names.  Personally, I would want to
share /home most of all.

So that leaves:

>    /usr/local
>    /boot
>
> to share between distros.  I *was* thinking of making /usr/local FAT32
> so it can be accessible under MS Windows if necessary.  But then I found
> that there's an ext2 filesystem driver for MS Windows (wow!).  [1]

Also, FAT32 does NOT seem support symlinks, so this can be a major
problem for some program functionality.  It does store data just fine,
so I often make a separate FAT32 partition to share between Windows and
Linux on my dual boot computers.  I haven't checked out reading ext2/3
in windows yet, but I have heard of it.