[vox-tech] multiple OS's on one computer

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Jul 27 12:12:40 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm planning a system that has a few different Linux distros that I want
to try, in addition to Debian.  Seems like a good thing to have separate
partitions to share between them.  First order approximation was:

   /home
   /usr/local
   /boot

so all distros can share things like kernels.  But then I realized /home
wouldn't do since different distros have different versions of this and
that, and therefore have different dot files.  So that leaves:

   /usr/local
   /boot

to share between distros.  I *was* thinking of making /usr/local FAT32
so it can be accessible under MS Windows if necessary.  But then I found
that there's an ext2 filesystem driver for MS Windows (wow!).  [1]

Lastly, I was toying around with the idea of installing bona-fide DOS
onto a partition to do some debugging of DOSEMU.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this kind of thing before, and
if so, had any helpful tips.

Pete

[1] At work, I have to use Outlook, and I'm absolutely miserable.  So
miserable that sometimes I'll open up gvim, compose my message, and cut
and paste into Outlook.

As an act of desperation, I did a Google search for "vim Outlook" and
found there's some kind of plugin for Outlook that gives you a vimish
editor to work with.  Definitely on my list of things to do.

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.