[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 24 11:55:26 PDT 2004

Quoting Mark K. Kim (lugod at cbreak.org):

> > I realize that Rick now thinks that I don't have a winmodem,
>
> If I'm following this thread correctly, he now think that you *do*
> have a Winmodem...

Ja.  Ashleigh, if you want to know for sure, then crack open the case
(with the power cord yanked) and unscrew & extract the PCI modem card.
Jot down whatever writing's on the largest chip on that card.  I'll bet
it says "Conexant", thus confirming my strong suspicion that you have a
winmodem based on the Conexant "HSP" chipset.  (I doubt the chip will
have "HSP" written on it.  That's a model _series_.  But you'd see some
letters and numbers that essentially indicate HSP, when/if you looked
_those_ up.)

I personally don't think time spent configuring winmodem driver support
(where possible) on Linux is a good investment, and would in preference
to that go buy a real modem.  (Thus my http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/
essays, which explain why.  In short:  Consider whether your time and
frustration aren't worth more than the small cost of an inexpensive real
modem.)  Nonetheless, obviously Views Differ.<tm>

> In addition to downloading the kernel source, you may need to download the
> kernel headers.

No, you don't!   This misconception keeps being promulgated because of
the way things used to be done, but you should leave your headers alone
and leave /usr/src/linux the way your installer left it -- if your
installer created it at all, which the Debian Woody installer does not.
(There's no /usr/src/linux on Debian unless you make one, and you really
shouldn't.)

Torvalds explained in 2000 why the "symlink insanity" should be ended
permanently -- and all the major distributions took his advice.  See:
"/usr/src/linux Symlink" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Kernel/

That change having been done by the major distributions (such that the
linker resolves header references entirely within /usr/include/linux,
and headers get upgraded if and only if you upgrade libc), it is now
safe to unpack kernel source trees within /usr/src if you wish to
without screwing up your system (which used to happen regularly when
people followed your lead and did the /usr/src/linux symlink thing),
but you don't _have to_.  You can do the compiles, instead, anywhere
that's convenient, e.g., within your home directory.  That's what I do.

--
Cheers,                    Remember:  The day after tomorrow is the third day
Rick Moen                  of the rest of your life.
rick at linuxmafia.com