[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 24 15:06:22 PDT 2004

Quoting Rick Moen:

>Ja.  Ashleigh, if you want to know for sure, then crack open the case
>(with the power cord yanked) and unscrew & extract the PCI modem card.
>Jot down whatever writing's on the largest chip on that card.  I'll bet
>it says "Conexant", thus confirming my strong suspicion that you have a
>winmodem based on the Conexant "HSP" chipset.  (I doubt the chip will
>have "HSP" written on it.  That's a model _series_.  But you'd see some
>letters and numbers that essentially indicate HSP, when/if you looked
>_those_ up.)

OK - I popped the hood to find out the bad news - I bought a
winmodem.  The chip on the pci card said:
CX11256-11
A103801.12
0353 Korea

I couldn't find it on Rob Clark's database at:
http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/g/gromitkc/winmodem.html

But I did find something close at:

http://www.modem-help.com/chips.php

It seems my chip is in this family:

CX11256-?? [SCM] 	Conexant 	SmartHSFi V.92 Soft

And I think Rick mentioned that the HSF indicates a winmodem (and the
Soft sounds pretty telling too)!

So now I think I'll agree with Rick and bail on the winmodem and get
a "real" modem.  Funny that I had a winmodem in my old windows
machine that I wanted to upgrade to linux.  Part of what inspired me
to get a new computer is that I figured it wouldn't have a winmodem
like my old computer, solving one of my barriers to running linux!
Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Ashleigh

Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant