[vox-tech] dhcp

Nick Schmalenberger nschmalenberger at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 15 21:20:05 PDT 2004

dear list,
I got my NIC to work, but I want for it to be configured by DHCP because
I don't know how to set the DNS servers and routing stuff. I know the
NIC works though because when I do "ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.2" I
can then ping 192.168.1.1, the router. However, when I ran dhclient it
said unrecognized kernel version. My kernel is 2.6.7 . Google reveals
this
answer:

http://www.yak.net/fqa/398.html
by leif
How can I fix dhclient in debian stable with the 2.6 kernel?
In debian stable (and maybe unstable, I haven't looked), the
/sbin/dhclient script doesn't know about the 2.6 kernel yet. (If you
boot up 2.6.0 and don't get a DHCP lease, and you notice "Unrecognized
kernel version" in the output of the ifup command, this is your
problem.) The solution is to edit /sbin/dhclient and change
"2.[12345].*)" to "2.[123456].*)"

to that problem. When I did that
and then ran dhclient, dhclient just sat there and did nothing, and no
configuration appeared. I know my DHCP server works because Windows can
get a configuration by DHCP. So how can I make DHCP work? Thanks.
Nick Schmalenberger