[vox-tech] Network Troubleshooting (trouble with ping, but not with pong)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 15 17:10:51 PDT 2004

Quoting Karalius, Joseph (Joseph.Karalius at seminis.com):

> I'm building a Debian workstation here at work and am having trouble
> ping-ing out to the network.  It's a Dell Optiplex GX270 with integrated
> gigE.

My best guess (on chipset identity) is Intel 8254x family, aka Ethernet
PRO 1000.  So[1], you need an installation kernel with a really recent
e1000 driver.  Try this one:

  http://www.beekum.nl/pe26xx.iso:
  Victor van Beekum's netinst image  30MB netinst installer for Debian 3.0
  "woody" on i386, tailored for Dell PE2600 and PE2650 and similar models'
  hardware RAID and gigabit ethernet driver requirements (aacraid,
  megaraid 1.18f, e1000, and tg3 drivers). Compatibility to Debian:
  excellent. Last checked: 2003-12-31.

That's quoted from my Debian installers page.

[1] Assuming that's your chipset.  You can investigate for yourself
using "lspci".