[vox-tech] rusty newbie CD mounting woes

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:50:50 -0800

I agree that the problem might be that this drive is writing device.
For writing, ide-scsi must be specified for it (although I hear the new
cdrecord gets around this).  You may do this a couple ways; you should
check your distribution for its recommended method.  I like to implement
this in grub with "hdc=ide-scsi" (assuming your cdrom is hdc:  2nd ide
cable, first device).

If ide-scsi is not enabled, the device interface will be something like
/dev/hdc, and you can use it to read cds.  Once you enable ide-scsi, the
device will become something like /dev/scd0, depending on your
distribution.  In either case, there may be a symbolic link to
/dev/cdrom or such.  If there isn't a symbolic link, you can make one.

Jonathan