[vox-tech] rusty newbie CD mounting woes

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:09:17 +0000

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 15:50:50PM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> I agree that the problem might be that this drive is writing device.
> For writing, ide-scsi must be specified for it (although I hear the new
> cdrecord gets around this).  You may do this a couple ways; you should
> check your distribution for its recommended method.  I like to implement
> this in grub with "hdc=ide-scsi" (assuming your cdrom is hdc:  2nd ide
> cable, first device).

Just a note on ide-scsi, cdrecord and 2.6.x kernels. I just upgraded to
2.6.1 yesterday. To use cdrecord you need to prepend ATAPI to your -dev=
argument. For instance 'cdrecord -scanbus' that you would use with
ide-scsi changes to 'cdrecord -scanbus -dev=ATAPI' and 'cdrecord
-dev=0,0,0 file.iso' becomes 'cdrecord -dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 file.iso' That's
of course assuming your ATAPI device numbers stay the same. I'd assume
they would (mine did anyways) as long as you don't have any actual SCSI
devices on your box to throw the original numbers off.

You can of course still use the ide-scsi interface to burn cd's, it's
just that it's unnecessary now. (with 2.6.x version kernels)