[vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 2 15:42:42 PST 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 12:54 am, Shwaine wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Bill Wells wrote:
> > #### PC parallel port support ###
> > tupport ###
>
> Bad paste? If not, remove this line
line removed

> <snip>
>
> > #### Parallel printer support ###
> > if cat /proc/ksyms | grep "\[lp\]" 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null ; then
> >  echo "lp support built-in, not loading module" > /dev/null
> > else
> >  if [ -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o \
> >       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o.gz \
> >       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o \
> >       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o.gz \
> >       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko \
> >       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko.gz ]; then
> >    /sbin/modprobe lp
> >  fi
> > fi
>
> Have you tried removing the if statements entirely and just directly
> replacing it with "/sbin/modprobe lp" and so on for the other modules?
> Not the most elegant solution, but certainly the most direct since these
> sections of rc.modules are very 2.4.x series kernel specific. If it works
> in rc.local, it should work in rc.modules and that will solve your CUPS
> issue as well (ie the module will load before CUPS so CUPS will see the
> interface when it loads). I cannot emphasize enough that rc.local is NOT
> the place to be loading kernel modules, due to both its position in the
> boot sequence and the fact it does not get called in single user mode.
> It's perfectly acceptable to add new modprobe lines to rc.modules. Just
> remember what you did so you can redo it if you reinstall.
I commented out all of the if statements in both modules leaving only
the /sbin/modprobe lp and /sbin/modprobe/parport_pc remaining active.
that works.

I have removed everything I added to rc.local.

All of this got me to looking around a little bit more.  In retrospect,
should I have renamed rc.modules > rc.modules.old and made a new rc.modules
using the rc.modules-2.6.7 as a base?  Nevermind . . .

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Bill Wells