[vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Thu Dec 2 00:54:51 PST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Bill Wells wrote:
> #### PC parallel port support ###
> tupport ###

Bad paste? If not, remove this line

<snip>
> #### Parallel printer support ###
> if cat /proc/ksyms | grep "\[lp\]" 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null ; then
>  echo "lp support built-in, not loading module" > /dev/null
> else
>  if [ -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o \
>       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o.gz \
>       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o \
>       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o.gz \
>       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko \
>       -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko.gz ]; then
>    /sbin/modprobe lp
>  fi
> fi

Have you tried removing the if statements entirely and just directly
replacing it with "/sbin/modprobe lp" and so on for the other modules? Not
the most elegant solution, but certainly the most direct since these
sections of rc.modules are very 2.4.x series kernel specific. If it works
in rc.local, it should work in rc.modules and that will solve your CUPS
issue as well (ie the module will load before CUPS so CUPS will see the
interface when it loads). I cannot emphasize enough that rc.local is NOT
the place to be loading kernel modules, due to both its position in the
boot sequence and the fact it does not get called in single user mode.
It's perfectly acceptable to add new modprobe lines to rc.modules. Just
remember what you did so you can redo it if you reinstall.