[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed Aug 25 12:58:10 PDT 2004

This is from Ashleigh's X logs.  I've snipped the thing which are not
relevent.  She's using 4.3.0.1.

> (WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.

Not relevent to your problem, but you may want to comment out a line in
/etc/XF86Config-4 which looks like:

   Fontpath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"

> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

Not relevent to your problem.  If the file /dev/apm_bios exists, then you
either need to load a module or rebuild the kernel.

I had the same warning a few months ago.  Can't remember what the precise
kernel config is, but it's googlable.  In any event, this isn't a show
stopper.  It just prevented me from using DRI.

> (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_vertex.o":  No symbols found

not relevant but annoying.  i get the same messages.

> (II) LoadModule: "pex5"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module pex5
> (II) UnloadModule: "pex5"
> (EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)

this might be the cause.  very mysterious that this is here.  pex5 is no
more.  remove the line loading the pex5 module.

> (II) LoadModule: "xie"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module xie
> (II) UnloadModule: "xie"
> (EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)

ditto.  xie is no more.  remove the line loading the xie module.

> Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already registered at priority 0
> Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0

not relevent.  i get the same messages.

>    *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
>    *** be the reason for the server aborting.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

i'm willing to bet that your problem is that X is trying to load two
non-existant modules.  remove them and you may have a working X again.

you may also want to comment out the reference to the cyrillic font, just
to clean your log file up.

lastly, i had the apm_bios warning myself.  i'm willing to bet that the file
/dev/apm_bios exists, which means the kernel isn't configured to use it.
the message shouldn't be fatal anyhow.  i found the relevant kernel config
option via google.  can't remember what it was off the top of my head.  maybe
somone who know apm better than me will know it off the cuff...

hth,
pete