[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 25 13:25:53 PDT 2004

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>This is from Ashleigh's X logs.  I've snipped the thing which are not
>relevent.  She's using 4.3.0.1.
>

>  > (WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
>
>Not relevent to your problem, but you may want to comment out a line in
>/etc/XF86Config-4 which looks like:
>
>    Fontpath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
>
>  > (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
>
>Not relevent to your problem.  If the file /dev/apm_bios exists, then you
>either need to load a module or rebuild the kernel.
>
>I had the same warning a few months ago.  Can't remember what the precise
>kernel config is, but it's googlable.  In any event, this isn't a show
>stopper.  It just prevented me from using DRI.
>
>  > (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
>  > (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
>  > Skipping
>"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o":  No
>symbols found
>  > Skipping
>"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o":  No
>symbols found
>  > Skipping
>"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o":  No
>symbols found
>  > Skipping
>"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_vertex.o":
>No symbols found
>
>not relevant but annoying.  i get the same messages.
>
>  > (II) LoadModule: "pex5"
>  > (WW) Warning, couldn't open module pex5
>  > (II) UnloadModule: "pex5"
>  > (EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
>
>this might be the cause.  very mysterious that this is here.  pex5 is no
>more.  remove the line loading the pex5 module.
>

>  > (II) LoadModule: "xie"
>  > (WW) Warning, couldn't open module xie
>  > (II) UnloadModule: "xie"
>  > (EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)
>
>ditto.  xie is no more.  remove the line loading the xie module.

I tried commenting out the loading of the above 2 modules in my
XF86Config-4 file, but that didn't get X started.  The associated
error messages in the error log are gone, but that seems to be the
only change that results.  There are now no "EE" error messages in
the log, just mostly font warnings.

Ashleigh