[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Rob Rogers rob at wizardstower.net
Wed Aug 25 09:54:54 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:40:37AM -0700, Ashleigh Smythe wrote:
> Kevin - oops, I think the first time I tried your above suggestion I
> accidentally commented out "Configured Mouse" - hence the immediate
> error and no attempt to start X.  But now I am sure I've commented it
> out as you have above, and I am back to the original error  - screen
> goes black, then there is kind of a flash and I'm back out to the
> prompt with the same error: Fatal server error:  Caught signal 11.
> Server aborting.  And the the same XIO: fatal IO error 104...

Again, we're going to need the actual error message to know what the problem is. If you look at the errors you posted, the first was

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
        No such device.

and the next couple were just cascading from that one. Now that that problem is fixed/bypassed, you're probably getting a new error message. Try checking your log again, and most likely the first (EE) line will point you in the right direction.