[vox-tech] machine fails to post

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Sun Aug 22 09:10:55 PDT 2004

På söndag, 22 augusti 2004, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
> On Sat 21 Aug 04,  8:45 AM, Henry House <hajhouse at houseag.com> said:
> > I have a machine (self-built) that started freezing randomly a few days ago,
> > then rebooting at random inopportune times. Now most recently it does not
> > boot up at all but fails to post (there is no beep or any other sign of
> > funtioning after the keyboard LEDs flash once).
> >
> > The CPU (VIA C3 running without a fan, only a heatsink) felt very hot when I
> > touched it, so I suspect that it overheated and expired. (I wish I had an
> > instant-read electroni thermometer.) I did a quick check for electrical
> > contact between the board and the metal case that could cause a short but
> > found saw none.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions before I order a new CPU?
>
> Henry,
>
> CPUs often get very hot.  If you're not overclocking and weren't
> stressing the system, I don't see how the CPU fried.  On older machines,
> the system will crash *LONG* before the CPU physically fries.  It's only
> on newer systems that CPUs tend to fry without warning.
>
> Don't give up.  I've seen machines not POST for very finnicky reasons.
> Most recently, I've seen a machine not POST because there were two
> primary master hard drives.

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried removing everything except the RAM and
the floppy (forgot about it), and the machine posted. I then reinstalled
everything, and the machine still posts, except that the video card does not
initialize. Since there is onboard video, I think that the BIOS defaulted
back to that. I have yet to test it because the only screen that I had handy
was and LCD with DVI input only. More updates later.

--
Henry House